What is the Spanish International Diploma?
The Spanish International Diploma is the only officially accredited Spanish-language qualification issued by the Ministry of Education, Social Policies and Sports of Spain.
Most commonly referred to as the “DELE” (Diplomas de Español como Lengua Extranjera), the diploma is internationally recognized by private companies, chambers of commerce and public and private educational systems and centers.
The DELE exams are issued by the Instituto Cervantes/the Cervantes Institute on behalf of the Spanish government. The diplomas are the single most important official qualifications that provide accreditation for the different levels of competence and command of the Spanish language.
The DELE exams begin in April, according to the schedule set by the Cervantes Institute. Learn more about exam fees.
The Spanish School at St. Louis Language Immersion School is currently the only center in Missouri accredited to administer the test.
How Are the Exams Issued and Graded?
The DELE exams are issued by the Cervantes Institute on behalf of the Spanish Ministry of Education, Social Policies and Sports.
The University of Salamanca collaborates with the Cervantes Institute in the development of the examinations and grading of the examination papers.
Which DELE should you take?
There are six levels of examinations.
- Certificado Elemental / Elementary Level (A1). This diploma attests to sufficient linguistic ability for a very basic range of the most common, simple expressions used in the Spanish-speaking world.
- Diploma de Principiante / Beginner Level (A2). This diploma attests to sufficient linguistic ability for understanding a basic range of the common and immediate relevance of expressions used in the Spanish-speaking world (basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
- DELE Principiante-Inicial / Beginner – Intermediate Level (A2/B1). This diploma is a fusion between A2 and B1 level.
- DELE Inicial / Intermediate Level (B1). This diploma attests to sufficient linguistic ability for understanding and responding appropriately in most normal, day-to-day situations and for expressing desires and needs in a basic way.
- DELE Intermedio / Advanced Level (B2). This diploma validates sufficient linguistic ability to get by in average day-to-day situations in normal communication circumstances, which do not require specialized use of the language.
- Certificado Proficiente / Proficient Level (C1). At this level, users are expected to be able to use the structures of a language with ease and fluency. Users are able to adapt their language to a variety of social situations, express opinions and take part in discussions and arguments in a culturally acceptable way.
- DELE Superior / Superior Level (C2). This diploma accredits the necessary linguistic competence to integrate in situations requiring an advanced use of the language and knowledge of the cultural customs embedded within it.
Register for the DELE or take a demonstration test.
For more information, read the, read the SLLIS DELE blog or contact Examiner 1 Sr. Yuri Casas
or Examiner 2 Sr. Baldomero Alvarez for registration, exam dates, examination center, diploma fees and preparation classes information.